Summer is nearly here and it is only natural that we feel the urge to start preparing for those amazing summer bodies that we want to show off at the beach. Before you know it, you’ll be in your bikinis getting that long-desired bronze tan. Normally, most of you will start preparing by making amendments to your diet. The best part about welcoming the warm seasons is that there is plenty of variety when it comes to fresh vegetables and fruit on the market. But apart from staying away from unhealthy and calorie-intense food, what else can we do, especially if we are stuck at home?
As you are well aware, the start of 2020 hasn’t exactly been what most of us expected. The spread of COVID-19 has resulted in the need for social distancing and the closure of many businesses – including gym facilities. During these socially difficult times, there is still a lot that you can do from home to work towards that dream body. You don’t even need professional and expensive equipment. All you need is motivation, consistency, and a few essential products. Let’s see what they are:
Preparing for a home workout
For starters, you’ll need to prepare the following things:
- Comfortable leggings – Just because you’ll be working towards losing weight doesn’t mean that there won’t be any stretching involved. Besides, it is worth remembering that every workout, regardless of its level of intensity, should always start with a nice thorough warmup to prevent any injuries along the way. So choose your favorite pair of extra-stretchy leggings and guarantee that there will be no boundaries to your movements.
- Sports bra – There are still women who neglect the importance of a sports bra. However, there is a reason why this piece of fitness equipment is one of the founding parts of active people’s outfit. The sports bra offers protection, comfort, and most importantly – safety. Especially during high-intensity workouts, breasts can suffer from dramatic movements, sometimes causing long-term problems.
- Yoga mat – Although these mats are called “yoga mats” they don’t necessarily have to be used for yoga exercises. They can come in handy for anything that involves exercising on the floor. Choose a mat that has enough protection for your body and will guarantee that you won’t get any bruises or won’t suffer any pain from getting on all fours during the exercises. The best part is that there are plenty of colors and designs to choose from to offer extra motivation and excitement about your workout at home.
- A bottle of water – Eve though you may think that your workout is not going to be that intense and demanding, you can never be too sure of how things will develop as you start. You may feel a blast of energy that pushes you to do more than you initially intended to. And since your home workout is dependent entirely on you – that’s absolutely fine! Listen to your body and make sure that you don’t put too much pressure on yourself. The bottled water will be useful during the process as you won’t need to waste time pausing to pour yourself a cup of water every now and again. After all, staying hydrated is an absolute must at all times.
Types of exercises perfect for weight loss
When visiting the gym, it is fairly easy to do any exercise that you can possibly imagine. There’s enough space, professional equipment, and often, an expert who is there by your side to guide you as you work out. At home, things are a bit different. For this list, we have chosen exercises that are perfect for a home atmosphere. They will help you burn fat and lose that extra weight that has been on your mind.
The list starts with crunches, as one of the most popular choices for exercising at home. Using your bodyweight crunches actively work on your stomach muscles and waist zone. This workout is a great substitute for running and especially considering that a good run is impossible to go for in the house, crunches may be your rescue.
Lay down on your mat in an even place that you choose at home. With your arms behind your head, continuously raise yourself in a sequence of times.
The number of times you repeat the exercise will also contribute towards the speed of weight loss. Consider your age, weight, and body type when creating your home workout regime. There are plenty of online sources that you can use, both paid and free, to get help with your workout routine.
Looking for an exercise that you use perfectly your body weight as an instrument to burn calories? Well, squats are the perfect solution.
Most people think that squats only work on the lower part of the body but, in fact, they also work wonders for your abdomen. They are also metabolism-boosting, turning them into an even more preferred exercise while at home. They are easy to perform, stimulate the loss of weight, and available in different varieties.
Imagine that you are trying to sit on a chair. Bend your pelvis and put your hands together in front of yourself as in a prayer. Squeeze tightly when you are returning into a straight position after your bend to the “chair”.
The plank is probably one of the fitness trainers’ favorite exercises of all times! And there is a good explanation for this. The plank is one of the exercises that involve the upper and lower parts of the body simultaneously. It is a great cardio activity, although it may not seem very intense to those who have not yet tried it. It is a great calorie-burner and requires no equipment, apart from a mat, and even that depends on personal preference.
Simply place your toes and hands on the floor as if you are about to do a push-up. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders, while your toes should be grounded into the floor. Squeeze your glutes and maintain stability.
There are different variations to the plank and those of you who are more
Pullups are one of the most certain ways to get you the weight-loss stage that you are after. If we think about it, the majority of our body weight is under the level of the head. During pullups, you are developing your arm, don, and leg muscles all at the same time. So if you don’t really have much time to spend on these muscle groups alone, doing a few pullup repetitions is a great alternative.
At first, you may struggle to do pullups but as you continue trying and combine your workout with other strength-building exercises, the magic will happen. You will notice that although this exercise is difficult, once you get into the habit of it, you will feel much more energized and motivated throughout the day.
For this exercise, you will need a stable object hanged on the wall. You can easily a product like this from nearly any online shop that sells fitness-related products. It is inexpensive and straightforward to apply. Place your arms over the object and try to pull your body up over the level of your arms as many times as you can.
You may have beautiful memories with jumping ropes as a kid. There are so many different exciting variations to try! When it comes to home workouts, the jumping rope can also be a genius way to lose weight. It is certainly a cardio exercise, easy to afford and doesn’t require too much space. Besides burning calories like nothing else and helping you get the perfect body, there are additional benefits to this activity:
- Improves coordination
- A portable solution that you can have fun with
- Improves bone density
- Works towards a better cardiovascular health
- Helps with breathing
- Eliminates foot and ankle pain or injuries
- Relaxes your mind and body
The next on our list are lunges – the exercise that develops legs, glutes, and quads muscles. It is important to choose the right shoes for this exercise in order to prevent injuries and maximum comfort. Also, remember to warm up with special attention to your knees and ankles. If you have suffered knee injuries in the past, it may be best to avoid this exercise completely.
You can use your mat for lunges to make sure that you feel more comfortable. Last but not least, remember to complete equal repetitions with both legs to ensure they are equally involved.
These are only some of the examples of exercises that you can easily stay fit with even when stuck at home. If you are more experienced with physical activity, feel free to experiment and tone up the standard workouts and personalize them according to your needs and preferences. Don’t forget to choose your favorite pair of leggings and a sports bra that will support you along the way!